Friday, January 1, 2010

Today is the day

It is appointed unto to men once to die, and after this the judgement. (Hebrews 9:27)

This scripture looms large and true for all who believe in the finality of death, the afterlife or even a vague certainty of a final accounting of their lives. But I will not wax eloquent about God's eternal kingdom at this time. Instead, I will backtrack from the scripture's premise.

I pondered this on this first day of the year 2010. Not just my place in eternity, but my place in the present. I thought, " Then I would assume it is appointed unto men once to live". And, if living once(as well as dying) is my lot and both are appointed... Well, then I am living in a time that I am predestined to occupy by God's will. That I am here by divine will as well as all who may read this(even if you never read this you are here for a purpose).

Now I have never really been one to grab the bull by the horns(until recently when I have been grabbing the political BS by the horns) or the type to seize the day. It's not part of who I am for the most part. But, maybe it is time to do so. To live the life appointed unto to me. To seize, grab hold of what is in the here and now.
This does not mean(to me atleast) that I will be taking part in hang gliding, rock climbing, shark diving or any other so-called thrill seeking activity. To me it means that I will pursue my passions, my talents, my abilities, my dreams. The things that I was put here to do. Not just for my own personal growth, but for the kingdom of God. To serve that which is good and right and pure. If bloviating is my gift, so be it. On a blog... so be it. But it all boils down to 2 priniciples(as per Jesus). To love God with all of your heart, mind, soul and strength. And to love your neighbor as yourself. In these two things is the fulfillment of the law(read 10 commandments).

So to all, I wish a Happy New Year. To good health, good friends and good times. To all finding their reason, their purpose for living in their own appointed time.

No comments:

Post a Comment