Friday, January 8, 2010

Thank you, thank you very much



Today is the anniversary of the birth of the king of rock n roll. He would of been 75 years old. Hard to believe and hard to imagine. I guess because for most of us he is forever frozen in our memories as an icon in his youth.

For whatever personal flaws and demons Elvis might have had, he gave us a lifetime of memories and music. He was a pioneer. He fused blues and black gospel music into something soulful and unique. Rock n Roll. I remember watching his movies as a kid. They were harmless, usually inane romps interlaced with Presley's songs. Probably the best of the lot being Viva Las Vegas(due in part to his vivacious co-star Ann Margaret). I still love the the title song.

The circumstances of his demise are less flattering. But why rehash that now? He once was a man of faith, who hopefully found and made peace with the Lord he once sung of so gloriously. I pray that the king of rock n roll now dwells peacefully in the presence of the King of Kings.

3 comments:

  1. is THAT all what they were to you? Inane ROMPS?! Why I oughta- Elvis was my first.. my last... my everything. His films were the life blood, the bane of my existence. I actually had to relocate and put down roots in Graceland's backyard just to be near him. Yes, I watched him from afar, familiarizing myself with his schedule and when possible observing with my binoculars, his movements around the property. Oh, yes, I knew him well and I would have had him as my own had that she-dermis of a woman not moved in on him.
    Unfortunately, I was discovered attempting to scale the fence and taken away like an animal...He couldn't hear my cries, otherwise I am sure we would have had our day...Yes, unflattering, but nontheless true. Sort of.

    Elvis lives on in my mind and in my heart. No one can take that from me. Not you, not the police, not my doctors. That's all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sense that the only thing that could take it away from you would be a frontal lobotomy.
    I just think that the movies did not do his vast talent justice. But that is why I cited Viva Las Vegas as the best. Because it was not inane.
    P.S. I hope the meds are helping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, BT. You've got yourself a live one there!

    Nice blog on the The Pop of Rock. I can almost hear you doing your impersonation of him! Always appreciate your recognition of the true Pappa Rock. I remember rocking my little newborn nephew to sleep to "Fools Rush In":

    Wise Men say
    only fools rush in
    but I cant help
    falling in love with you
    Shall I stay
    would it be a sin
    if I can't help falling in love with you...

    Like a river flows, surely to the sea
    Darlin' so it goes, somethings are meant to be..

    Take my hand, take my whole life too
    for I can't help falling in love with you...
    ----

    ReplyDelete