Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Civil Savants



I live in an apartment complex with a centrally located mailbox. I went out today to collect my mail when I opened the the door to the box and discovered that a small box(not small enough) being delivered to me was placed squarely in my slot. Now the mailperson loads the boxes from behind and consequently I retrieve the mail from the front. However, the box that must have barely fit in the back of the slot was not accessable from the receiver end. All they had to do was walk about fifty or sixty feet to my front door and leave it there for my receipt. Instead, I had to find a large screwdriver and smash the sides of the box while poking holes in it in order to extricate it from it's federally protected tomb. It took all of five minutes to accomplish what could've have been done in less than thirty seconds by the postman. I thought about calling the post office, but to what end. Short of violence in the workplace these people have a job for life. If anything, they might have had a good laugh about it during their two hour break. The point is, competition and the pursuit of excellence are practically absent in the public sector. There is little incentive to excel and no fear of termination.(One of the many reasons I fear a government run healthcare system) There are people who are good government workers, but that is because of their own intrinsic work ethic despite the malaise that pervades the realm of civil service. I guess Newman was right, "When you control the mail, you control information". Or atleast in the case, access.

3 comments:

  1. Just be careful. Whatever you do, be VERY careful.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zG_PN31YJU

    PS You might consider a nice monetary gifting. You know what they say: You'll catch more packages with money than vinegar.

    GG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Postal employee Newman strikes again. I guess that he still hasn't landed that cushy gig out in Hawai'i. Must have been Publisher's Clearing House day and he was a little stressed, and maybe the barcode reader broke. Remember, there's no such thing as junk mail.

    MR

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a little known secret that zip codes are meaningless.
    Too bad for Newman... I hear the air is so dewy sweet in Hawaii that you don't even have to lick the stamps.

    ReplyDelete